Fat Steve's Blatherings

Monday, April 18, 2005

China: Riding the Monster

      Rebecca MacKinnon, ex-CNN reporter who spent part of her youth in China, reports on Vietnam and China (she's currently visiting Vietnam).  One very interesting point (read it all, the whole thing's interesting):
      In China, on the other hand, historical rage has become very much part of the Chinese identity. (As my good friends know, I can still sing the anti-Japanese songs I was taught at age 10 in a Beijing primary school.) The Chinese government cultivates a sense of historical rage in its young people . . . But as the latest anti-Japanese protests around the country show, the government is now riding a monster it created but which it no longer fully controls.

      I haven't been worried much about the Chinese/Japanese tensions.  Reading MacKinnon's comment is making me reassess.

THE HOUSE OF SAUD MUST BE DESTROYED -- AND WILL BE!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home