Fat Steve's Blatherings

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

It is to Laugh

      Betsy Newmark points to a Washington Post story on the advantages of stalling during a scandal.  It contains one really marvelous tidbit:
The most famous example of a politician who hunkered down and survived to tell about it is former president Bill Clinton. He has said he believes that if he had told the truth about his relationship with Monica S. Lewinsky in the first days after the scandal erupted in January 1998, the uproar would have forced him from office. By the time he acknowledged the affair seven months later, polls suggested that a majority of the public had long since concluded that Clinton was probably lying but that the matter was a private transgression.

"I think the overwhelming likelihood is that I would have been forced from office, because I think the Democrats would have -- some Democrats might have abandoned me," Clinton told PBS's Jim Lehrer last year. "I'm not sure that would have happened," he added, but "I thought at the time it was a realistic possibility."

      Bill, I want to thank you, sincerely, for hanging on.  If, for the only time in your life, you'd done the decent thing, Al Gore would have become President.  Then he'd have been elected in his own right in 2000, and would have been President on 9/11.  I shudder at the thought.

      Now, please do something stupid and selfish again, so you can torpedo Hillary's chances.

THE HOUSE OF SAUD MUST BE DESTROYED -- AND WILL BE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home