Fat Steve's Blatherings

Thursday, September 29, 2005

A Few More Words About Serenity

        First, I had 1100 visitors yesterday, which is pleasing, and over seventy today.  Look around, hope you like the site, hope you come back, hope you send me large sums of money in the mail. . .

        Second, Glenn has a bunch of links to reviews of Serenity, here and here.  I read all of them, and they frequently had links to other reviews, which I also read.  Interestingly, every single review is positive.  Some are much more enthusiastic than others, but all of them liked the movie.

        Third, as a long time Whedon fan, I wondered how the movie would be seen by those not familiar with the TV series.  Well, they liked it too (and several reviews by fans mentioned seeing the film with someone who wasn't familiar with the show, said person also liking the movie).

        In fact, I now almost dread going to the movies Saturday, when I'll see Serenity again with my wife and two good friends.  It's gonna be crowded.  But it looks like Universal's gamble has paid off.  Extraordinarily good marketing and promotion here, folks.  And good judgment in letting Whedon make his movie with little interference.

        Fourth, Powerline, in addition to giving the movie a very positive review, says they've heard from another studio who want to use the blog marketing scheme.  Great.

        Fifth, the most interesting comment I read in those other reviews was someone who told his significant other that George Lucas ought to be ashamed of himself, and was told in reply that Lucas should be flattered.  They're both right.  Whedon's film is the kind of thing that Lucas might have done, if he still had any talent.  But Mal Reynolds is so clearly redolent of Han Solo that Lucas can claim partial credit for him.  (Of course, Han Solo is himself reflective of other archetypical characters).

        Finally, films like Serenity make me wonder how Hollyweird keeps itself in business.  Judging by the movie, if Fox had just left Whedon alone, the Firefly TV series would have been a big hit.  But the studio execs just can't resist the temptation to muck things up.  "Who does things like this?  Somebody weird, I'll betcha."

        So, go see this flick.  Based on the reviews I've seen, you're almost certain to enjoy it — everyone else did.

THE HOUSE OF SAUD MUST BE DESTROYED — AND WILL BE!

4 Comments:

  • Just a fellow Minnesotan stopping by to say 'hello'. Are you a GL'er?

    By Blogger Just another MN girl, at 8:08 AM  

  •         Probably not, since I'm not familiar with the term "Gl'".  What's it mean?

    By Blogger Stephen M. St. Onge, at 9:05 AM  

  • http://www.am1500.com/garagelogic.htm

    By Blogger Just another MN girl, at 9:47 AM  

  • MN Girl:

            Thanks for the quick response.

            Usually, I'm asleep at that time.  If I'm ever awake, I'll try listening.

            And by the way, I liked what I saw of your blog.  I'll make sure to drop by from time to time.

    The House of Saud Must Be Destroyed!

    By Blogger Stephen M. St. Onge, at 4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home