Fat Steve's Blatherings

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Perhaps I'm Missing Something

        Strategypage has a pretty good piece on why U.S. troops increasingly hate the media, here.  Mostly I agree, but there's one part that I just don't get:
        To the average G.I., the attitude is, “what are these reporters looking for?” They are looking for a story, and bad news is a story. Good news is not.

        Really?  Say there's an election, with X and Y as candidates.  Can you explain how whatever happens will be bad news, regardless of who wins?  I sure can't.  Yet the media cover elections and report the results all the time.

        You can probably find other examples yourself, but in the end,it all comes down to this: on some subjects, good news is a story, on some subjects any news is a story, but on some subjects, only bad news is a story.  The Iraq War is one of those latter.  Until someone can show me what the criteria are for deciding what kind of news makes "a story," I say it's bias, and I say to Hell with it.

        Technorati tags: , , .

THE HOUSE OF SAUD MUST BE DESTROYED — AND WILL BE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home