Fat Steve's Blatherings

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Pop Quiz

        A soldier writes a letter, and dies.  What did the New York Times print?

At Length:

          The New York Times published a story on the 2000th fatality in Iraq.  One of those they wrote about was a Corporal Starr, who died during his third tour of duty in Iraq.  Cpl. Starr had a letter to his girlfriend on his laptop, written but not sent.  It was intended to be read only in the event of his death.

        The following is an excerpt from the letter, part in italic, part in bold [my formatting, obviously].  Your job -- figure out which one of the two parts the Times used, and which part they left out:
        Obviously if you are reading this then I have died in Iraq.  I kind of predicted this, that is why I'm writing this in November.  A third time just seemed like I'm pushing my chancesI don't regret going, everybody dies but few get to do it for something as important as freedom.  It may seem confusing why we are in Iraq, it's not to me.  I'm here helping these people, so that they can live the way we live.  Not have to worry about tyrants or vicious dictators.  To do what they want with their lives.  To me that is why I died.  Others have died for my freedom, now this is my mark.

        And now, I wonder, should I bother writing the "Public Editor" at the Times, and asking them why they only used part of that letter?

        No, I'm not in the mood for lies, and I know already.  And there are no words to sufficiently express my contempt for those who used a man's death the way the 'Newspaper of Carefully Edited Record' did.

        Rest in Peace, Corporal Jeffrey B. Starr.

        Technorati tags: , , , , , .

THE HOUSE OF SAUD MUST BE DESTROYED — AND WILL BE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home