Fat Steve's Blatherings

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Another Sign We're Winning?

        Howard Kurtz comments on main stream media in Iraq:
        Is there at least one exit strategy in Iraq? Columbia Journalism Review's Paul McLeary seems to find one for the press when he gets to Baghdad:

        "Getting a room wasn't a problem; while the hotel used to be full of journalists, many either left the country after the December elections or were pulled out by their publications, which have been cutting back on Baghdad staff as things have gotten progressively more dangerous.  The day I checked in, the only people I saw were a few middle-aged Iraqi men in leather jackets forlornly smoking by the front desk, and a lonely cafeteria attendant, sitting at his cash register watching a soap opera.

        "In fact, I didn't see any Westerners at all until my second day, when I contacted the acting bureau chief for an American paper who was staying in my hotel.  As we were discussing the state of reporting in Baghdad and Iraq in general, he told me that I was a little late to the game. These days, more American reporters are leaving Iraq than arriving. In large part, for the U.S. press, 'The party's pretty much over.'"

        I suspect they're discouraged by a lack of bad news.

        Technorati tags: , .

THE HOUSE OF SAUD MUST BE DESTROYEDAND WILL BE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home