Fat Steve's Blatherings

Monday, February 20, 2006

Hello, All

        Sorry to have been gone the past few days, but I wasn't feeling very well.  Also, it's mind-numbingly cold, which tends to slow me down.  And I seemed to be coming down with a cold.  And I had things to catch up on, after the weekend of torture.  And my dog ate the internet.

        So, let's look at the West's War With Islam.  The Cartoon Flap Continues, with at least ten killed in Libya, sixteen in Nigeria, and more elsewhere.  The current known deathtoll is 45.  For the moment, the best place I've found to keep up with developments is Yahoo's religion news.

        The Washington Post had an "anatomy" of the controversy that was interesting as much for what it didn't say as what it did.  The thing about the protests is that nothing happened until Danish Muslims got in touch with various Middle Eastern governments.  This, and other things, raises the suspicion that the whole protest was deliberately stirred up by anti-Western, anti-democratic governments.  The Post, in a stunning display of stupidity, put just enough references to this into their story to say that they were aware of it, while absolutely refusing to pursue the issue.  You can read both the story, and my letter to the Post, here.

        To their credit, the Post did publish an op-ed by Flemming Rose of Jyllands-Posten, explaining why he ran the cartoons in the first place.  If you're registered with the Post, you can read it here.  Otherwise, it's here in my archives, along with my letter to Mr. Rose.

        And I finally found a source for the other cartoons the Danish Muslims took with them to the Middle East.  You can find them here.

        Technorati tags: , , , , .

Google's Motto: Don't Be Evil — UNLESS IT PAYS REALLY WELL!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home